This Classic Edition commemorates the 100-year anniversary of William Strunk's grammar primer, The Elements of Style. Generations of writers have learned the basics of grammar from Strunk’s little book. It was rated “one of the 100 most influential books written in English” by Time in 2011, and iconic author Stephen King recommended it as a grammar primer that all aspiring writers should read.
Elements of Style: Classic Edition 2018 includes the full text of Strunk's original work. It adds two new chapters requested by college professors and students to help clarify points of confusion in modern writing: Basic Rules of Capitalization and Style Rules for Better Writing. It also features a variety of enhancements that make this grammar handbook even more useful:
1. Editor’s notes have been inserted throughout the book to flag grammar rules that are now obsolete and to provide up-to-date advice for students and writers.
2. Emojis have been added to help readers identify correct examples from errors at a glance.
3. A Study Guide is included in the last chapter.
4. The paperback version includes blank, lined pages in the back of the book for convenient notetaking.
5. The e-book versions have been restyled for improved display on the latest generations of digital book-reading devices.
Elements of Style: Classic Edition is now being used as a textbook in courses at University of Minnesota, University of Texas, UC Berkeley and elsewhere, giving students and writers a blueprint that they can follow to write clearly and effectively while adhering to the fundamental rules of English Grammar.